This news just has to be shared. I actually lowered my cholesterol (the “bad” LDL) by 32 points since the beginning of May. (See the story below on coffee brewing and cholesterol. I had been brewing and drinking unfiltered coffee for years!).
In truth, I did more than just change the way I brew coffee. I also eliminated iced mocha drinks from places like Starbucks – and ate oatmeal for breakfast about 90% of the time, added a good dose of cinnamon to it, took fish oil capsules about 80% of the time, cut down substantially on my ice cream intake (and it was the rich kind, no wimpy low-fat for me!). Of course, I ate a healthy diet otherwise and exercised – but I always did. Whatever it was – and it may have been the combination of it all – filtered coffee, oatmeal, cinnamon, fish oil, and cutting down on ice cream… it worked.
And the cute little stainless steel Italian coffee pot in the photo below? It found a home with a woman who works at our local health foods store who said she would use it to brew tea. So – happy ending all around!
- Some coffee increases cholesterol Who would have thought – how you brew coffee can increase your cholesterol. Electric drip? Espresso? French press? Which method is better? Which pot is better? ...
- Going to the hospital – ambulance vs. driving Sometimes it’s better to take an ambulance to the hospital than have a friend drive you in an emergency. It may sound scary and lonely, but it maybe better for you. Why?...
- Liquid soap in plastic bottles is horrific for our environment Liquid soaps in their little plastic bottles may seem convenient. They don’t dribble their suds or coagulate in a soap dish. But they have at least two huge drawbacks. Going back to the bar can solve a couple of big problems....
- Two coaches, two approaches A new professional field is taking shape. Having emerged about 15 years ago, it’s coaching – variously billed as executive, career, business, life, or personal coaching. The basic purpose is to help you realize your goals. Who coaches? And why? Flying High Solo interviewed two coaches to explore their...
- DePaulo highlights 2012 media on singles/solos Bella DePaulo showcases recent media coverage of the growing phenomenon of solo- and single-hood in her most recent blog....
FlyingHighSolo.comCelebrating special people, good ideas, and useful actions
Keep on top of what's new – subscribe to Flying High Solo! You'll get a brief email alerting you to new articles. (Your email is safe -- we will not share it with anyone).
What readers are saying
"amazing variety of topics"
"an intelligent, strong, creative, eclectic approach .... that we don't get a chance to read everyday"
"very cool and intelligent"
Bella DePaulo's blog for Psychology Today, "the truth about singlism..." News, analysis, facts, and stories about being single in America