Festive and delicious, chocolate covered strawberries are an easy spring and summer dessert (or anytime treat). Talk yourself into it… after all, you’ll be eating fruit! You’ll feel pampered – or like you’re at a 5-star restaurant. Either way – they are easy to make and delicious to eat.Here’s all you need:
– 4 fresh strawberries with green stems attached
– a paper towel
– 1/3 cup semi-sweet chocolate bits
– a fork
– a plastic or glass bowl
– waxed paper
– a plate or cookie sheet
Here’s what you do:
1) rinse the strawberries and put them on a paper towel and let them air dry for several hours – or – pat them dry gently with a paper towel. They need to be dry so the chocolate will adhere and not slide off.
2) For 4 large strawberries, put 1/3 cup of semi-sweet chocolate bits into the plastic or glass bowl, cover loosely, and microwave on high for about 30 – 40 seconds. Check to see if they are melted – stir. If not melted, microwave for another 10 – 20 seconds (you don’t want to burn them. I often do 30 seconds then add 20 or so depending on how they soft they get).
3) When the chocolate bits are melted, stir until smooth, then simply drag and rotate the strawberries through the chocolate and place them on the waxed paper.
4) Put them in the refrigerator for a few minutes to set the chocolate.
I like to take them out at least an hour before eating – as cold fruit loses some of its taste. Room temperature is better.
If there is any chocolate left, you can dip apple slices, bananas, pears, etc. You can have one or more of your daily fruit servings as a decadent dessert! How sweet is that!
Story and photos by Bojinka Bishop.
- Solo Dinners: Treat Yourself Cereal for dinner? No way. You deserve a lovely meal. Cooking for yourself has many advantages. You can 1) eat what you really enjoy, without catering to other’s tastes, 2) save money, it’s cheaper than eating out or buying prepared foods, ...
FlyingHighSolo.comCelebrating special people, good ideas, and useful actions
Keep on top of what's new – subscribe to Flying High Solo! You'll get a brief email alerting you to new articles. (Your email is safe -- we will not share it with anyone).
What readers are saying
"amazing variety of topics"
"an intelligent, strong, creative, eclectic approach .... that we don't get a chance to read everyday"
"very cool and intelligent"
Bella DePaulo's blog for Psychology Today, "the truth about singlism..." News, analysis, facts, and stories about being single in America