To date, I’ve interviewed six dynamic solos, living their lives in unique ways. Their approaches to other people, and to their civic, work, and artistic pursuits have taught me valuable lessons about how to live a good life.
From Arnald Gabriel
1) Live your passion and you’ll be young forever
2) Uplift your spirit with great music
From Tracey Stubbs
3) Speak up about taking on new tasks, you just might get to do them
4) Admit you’re not the expert sometimes, it can build important bridges
From Elisa Young
5) Have the courage to work on righting injustices
6) Support and appreciate those who give up their lives to help others because fighting the system is mostly hard work and a tedious activity
From Pat Miller
7) Be a good manager by letting people use their strengths
8) Know that people will disagree, and work through it and around it
From Julie Riedmiller
9) Pay exquisite attention to your surroundings, they may enlighten you in ways you never thought possible
10) Be open to new ideas and life adventures and work toward them
From Diane Rastello
11) Believe in new beginnings
12) Have a sense of humor about yourself, it helps you bounce back
And from all
13) Care about results – pay attention to how your piece contributes to the whole
14) Be engaged, work hard at something and be dedicated and you’ll accomplish good things
15) Start something – one thing can lead to another
16) Not everyone likes the same thing – have enough variety in your life to connect to many different people
17) One person can make a difference – to a friend, to a family, to a group, to a workplace, to a community, to the world.
My final take-away is – wow – there are so many interesting, accomplished, and wonderful singles and solos (and people!) in the world. Let’s get to know them and tell them we appreciate them.
By Bojinka Bishop, March 4, 2013
- Music keeps him young Arnald Gabriel is off to conduct in Chicago, Miami, and other cities. You’d never know he’s almost 90. He looks 60. He packs his favorite baton. It’s light, made from balsa wood. He chose it because it balances perfectly on his finger. To a conductor, every detail is crucial. ...
- It’s all about art… and community “Art is something people can disagree about in a way that brings them together,” Pat Miller said. She should know. Miller has been working in community arts for 30 years and has brought lots of people and organizations together as community volunteer....
- What’s next? Flying High Solo is changing, at least for a while. I launched this site as a magazine, to report on things relevant to solos – interesting people, places, and things to know and do. I didn’t intend to write about what was happening in my life. That was then…...
- Immigrating? A reader asked me to write more about my impending “emigration” from Ohio. I had likened my journey to my grandparents’ trip to America more than 100 years ago and noted some similarities – being a stranger there, having to build a new life. ...
- Buying and selling are just part of it Can you tell if a shop owner loves what she sells? At The Audubon Shop and Gallery in Pawleys Island, SC, you think – maybe so. Small business owner Diane Rastello tells you her brother said, “Don’t just buy what you like, you’ll never sell it.” Rastello didn’t take it...
Celebrating special people, good ideas, and useful actions
Keep on top of what's new – subscribe to Flying High Solo! You'll get a brief email alerting you to new articles. (Your email is safe -- we will not share it with anyone).
What readers are saying
"amazing variety of topics"
"an intelligent, strong, creative, eclectic approach .... that we don't get a chance to read everyday"
"very cool and intelligent"
We’re all solo in our souls – Honoring our unique paths
Rewarding KindnessFlying High Solo is randomly rewarding acts of kindness. Click on "Seeing small beauties…" or click on "Things to do," on the blue navigation bar then on "Seeing small beauties..." for details.
Bella DePaulo's blog for Psychology Today, "the truth about singlism..." News, analysis, facts, and stories about being single in America
Flying High Solo welcomes the submission of news and feature stories about meaningful topics. Please click on “Submissions” in the top navigation bar for more details.
- May 2018
- June 2017
- January 2017
- September 2016
- June 2016
- May 2016
- February 2016
- July 2015
- May 2015
- January 2015
- December 2014
- November 2014
- October 2014
- September 2014
- August 2014
- July 2014
- June 2014
- May 2014
- April 2014
- March 2014
- February 2014
- January 2014
- October 2013
- September 2013
- April 2013
- March 2013
- February 2013
- January 2013
- December 2012
- November 2012
- September 2012
- May 2012
- March 2012
- February 2012